Bureau of the Census conducts decennial censuses of population and housing; a mid-decade census of population to be taken initially in 1985 and every 10 years thereafter; quinquennial censuses of agriculture, State and local governments, manufacturers, mineral industries, distributive trades, construction industries, and transportation; current surveys which provide information on many of the subjects covered in the censuses at weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual, or other intervals; compilation of current statistics on U.S. foreign trade, including data on imports, exports, and shipping; conducts special censuses at the request and expense of State and local government units; publishes estimates and projections of the population and housing characteristics; issues current reports on manufacturing, retail and wholesale trade, selected services, construction, imports and exports, State and local government finances and employment, and other subjects; and makes searches of decennial census records and furnishes certificates to individuals for use as evidence of age, relationship, or place of birth.
- Census Bureau Data Products, $1,295,000 total funding
- Census Customer Services, $18,000 total funding
- Census Geography, $40,149,000 total funding
- Census Intergovernmental Services, $3,826,000 total funding
- Census Special Tabulations and Services, $4,627,000 total funding
- Personal Census Search, $180,000 total funding